Saturday, March 21, 2009

Oh, how I HATE spring cleaning!!

I've been attemting to re-decorate my bedroom for going on three years now. Or is it four? I've lost count now because it's been too long. Anyways, I've decided that this is the year my room will be re-done. I will have a nice, pretty sanctuary to escape to at the end of the day. My new Ikea furniture will finally get to come out of storage and see the light of day, as will the custom blinds I ordered for my room. The floor will be bare, and I will no longer be tripping over things that are laying around.

There's just one problem. Currently, my room looks like a hurricane went through. Where did all this c**p come from, anyway? Does it multiply in the dark of night? Or is someone dumping stuff in my room when I'm at work during the day? This bag has...scrapbooking stuff in it. This one... oh, there's that started needlework project I've been looking for. Stray sock? Where did that come from? Oh well, throw it in the laundry and hopefully I have a mate to it somewhere. Let's see...what else do we have here? Bag of books, another bag of books, another bag of scrappy stuff, more books, more needlework, random balls of yarn for needlework, new clothes, new shoes, new purse...uh oh! I'm starting to notice a disturbing trend. This is all stuff I've BOUGHT!! To borrow a phrase from Britney: "Oops, I shopped again!"

I am making slowly making progress though. Very slowly. Today I cleaned up the space behind my hed (it's approximately 1.5 feet x 4.5 feet. I couldn''t believe all the, uh, we'll call them "treasures", that I found back there. A book I've been looking for, several pens, a stale bag of chips (don't ask), chocolate bar wrappers, a hanger (?), and the list goes on. I pulled everything out, piled it on my bed and vaccumed. From the looks of the rug, it's apparently been a while since I did that. Then I put back only what's necessary: my basket of journals and devotionals, my laptop case (I finally have enough room to keep it within easy reach of my bed where I usually sit to play) and two of my special Cabbage Patch Kids. I also cleaned off my cedar chest, put away some stuff that's been sitting on top of said cedar chest for a couple of years, vaccumed it and then re-arranged the Cabbage Patch Kids that sit on top of it, along with a couple of my Webkinz. And I put away a bunch of stuff that was lying around, and consolidated some bags of scrapbooking stuff that I want to give away. The bare space on my rug is getting larger, although not nearly fast enough for my liking. Maybe I should stop doing so much shopping, and start spending a little more time cleaning. Like that'll ever happen!

TTFN!

1 comment:

Lyda Tavorn said...

Ooh, yeah, it's often a love-hate relationship with spring cleaning. Too much stuff to do, not enough time for it. A nice way to avoid the need to spring clean is to do a few regular cleaning sessions to fix up a room instead of one long spring cleaning -- like for ones that need more work, you could either plan for it or find a cleaning service to do it for you.