Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The View From The Driver's Seat

I love my daily commute. Seriously. I think of it as my "me" time, away from all the pressures of work: the irritating co-workers, the deadlines, the ringing phone, the endless emails, you get the picture. In my car, there's no one who wants anything from me; it's just me and God. My co-workers all think I'm nuts because I actually enjoy driving all that way, twice a day, every day (although I will admit that it's not so much fun in the winter). But I enjoy it. And because Dad commuted to work every day, I grew up thinking that's just what people do. I have to admit, I can't quite understand why my co-workers look at me like I've lost my mind when I say I enjoy the drive every day. But I digress. I use the time in the morning to plan my day, talk to God, talk to myself (yes, I do talk to myself, but as of yet I haven't started answering myself - if that happens then I'll start worrying) or just crank up the tunes and sing along, which is my favourite way to spend the time - I refer to it as "car karaoke". At the end of the day, I use the time to decompress before I get home. I'm telling you...there's nothing better after a lousy day at the office than cruising along on open highway on a bright sunny day with good music in the CD player. It's one of the best forms of therapy there is, in my opinion. I sometimes feel quite privileged because I get to watch the changing of the seasons, the rising and setting of the sun, I get to see the baby animals in the spring and sometimes I get to see wildlife. I love to look acorss an open field and unexpectedly see a herd of deer grazing. That is truly a special thing.

TTFN!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this post! Now you're making me wish that my drive to work was longer than 10 minutes! Everyone always needs a little me time, me and God time, or me and "center stage 'cuz I'm a roooock star and can totally sing that song better than Kelly Clarkson anyway and maybe I'll be discovered while at a stop light" me time...but you know...any kind of me time is good! Hope nicer weather comes so that you can cruise with the wind blowin' in your hair and the sun shining down!

P.S. Sorry you had to change your links...eek! *HUGS*