Saturday, June 7, 2008

Big Blog Challenge - Weekend #1

Saturday's Topic: Post your summer menu.

There are so many foods and drinks that just scream "SUMMER!!!!!" at me. First is my favourite iced cappucino from Tim Horton's. The variety that I like the best is the one that's made with chocolate milk. Yum! Then there's the fruit that you can't buy any other time of year- peaches, pears, apricots, plums, raspberries, strawberries, cherries, watermelon, the list is endless! And corn on the cob. We just had corn the other night for summer - it was so good! Summer means we can fire up the barbecue and have chicken, steak, fish, pork chops , hot dogs, hamburgers and all the stuff that we normally cook inside, outside. If I was going to put together a menu, it owuld be this: steaks, grilled potatoes and onions (cooked in foil on the BBQ with the steaks), corn on the cob and macaroni salad. For dessert, I'd have fresh watermelon and ice cream cake from DQ. To drink, it would be something frozen - either pina coladas or the frozen slush drink that my dad makes. After eating and drinking all of that, I'd have to set up my lawn chair and take a nap. Then we'd roast marshmallows over a fire in the backyard. Ahhhhh...now's that's living!


Sunday's Topic: Post your favourite summer memory.

I came up with my favourite summer memory without having to give the matter any thought at all. We didn't do this very often, but some of my favourite summer memories revolve around when we'd go to my grandma's house in the summer (usually when we went to her house it was at Christmas). Just down the back lane from her house there was a school that had a big playground. My brother and I used to ride our bikes down there just about every day to play for a while. If my aunt and uncle and cousins came over to visit, all four of us kids would go. I remember there was this big tire swing, and James and I would (sometimes) take turns pushing each other. Because he was bigger, I used to get better pushes from him than he got from me. Sometimes, just to be a brat, he would spin me around on it instead of pushing me, and I'd have to just about beg him to stop because I felt like I was going to be sick. Grandma had raspberries growing in her backyard, and I remember going out and picking and eating them right off the plants with my brother. I also remember that she had rhubarb growing in the back garden, and tiger lilies that grow out in front of her street. THere was a sun porch in the front of her house, and I remember playing in there, sometimes by myself and sometimes with my brother. She lived in an older neighbourhood, where the streets where lined with big old trees. I used to ride my bike up and down the sidewalks a lot. I remember one day I wanted to see how far down the street I could go. I think I must have gone about 5 or 6 block before the street ended at a high school (I think that's what it was, but I'm not entirely sure). At night, James and I slept down in the family room where it was nice and cool and comfortable. We had the whole area to ourselves, so if it was raining we could play down there too. Grandma moved out of that house some years before she died, but I can still picture everything as though it was only yesterday that I was last there.

TTFN, and have a great weekend!

3 comments:

Amy said...

great summer menu and those are some great memories. I can remember playing at my granmothers too.

🌈🌈🌈 said...

Yummy....love that summer fruit!
Grandmas was always the best during the summer.

Anonymous said...

mmmmm, slush drinks! Great summer menu!