Tuesday, June 10, 2008

New Kids On The Block

http://www.nkotb.com

So who would have ever thought that one of my very favourite bands (actually the very favourite band) from when I was younger would re-unite, go on tour and release another album? Seeing the boys altogether again and being shown all over the place has me feeling nostalgic. I think I might still have all of my NKOTB stuff around somewhere; I was really tempted to go home and look for it last night (I had this sudden urge to listen to "Step By Step" but had to settle for singing it in the shower) but I had such a bad headache that I never got around to it. I do still have a couple of things handy: I had a Jordan doll (he was the boyfriend of my one and only Rocker Barbie) and I know exactly where he is. I also recently came across my NKOTB t-shirt. Scarily enough, I think it might still fit me. I thought I still had my NKOTB tote bag too (I used it for storing out of season clothes for many years because it was quite large) but if I do I'm not sure where it's gone to.

I was totally in love with them when I was young, especially Jordan. I had pictures from those teen magazines as well as big posters all over my room, including one of Jordan on the ceiling over my bed (I'm blushing right now just remembering this LOL). The first tape that I got was "Hangin' Tough". It had actually been my brother's; I think he got it in his Christmas stocking one year from mom and dad. Once I discovered that I liked them, I kept asking him if I could borrow his tape (and I have to admit that on a number of occasions I just took it without asking him). It got to the point where I had it so much he finally just gave it to me. I think I might also have a tape of a Top 40 countdown that I taped from the radio; one of the songs in the countdown was their last (?) single "If You Go Away". For a few years, all of my family members knew if they needed gift ideas for me, anything with NKOTB on it was a pretty safe bet. As well as my tapes, I had several books, a pair or earrings, a watch, a pin, a couple of buttons, a little Jordan figurine, a tote bag, a 32 oz. water bottle, a binder, numerous stickers, a puzzle and a couple of little bubblegum "cassettes". I seem to recall that I also had a video. Of course, I didn't have nearly the amount of stuff that a neighbour girl did. Her walls were literally wallpapered with NKOTB posters and pictures (I only had the upper part of my walls to decorate, the lower portion had actual wallpaper on it) as well as several binders full of more pictures and magazine/newspaper clippings. She had shirts, books, videos (both ones that had been bought for her and things she had taped off of TV whenever they were on) and all kinds of other stuff. But she didn't have one of the tapes that I did, so I felt pretty good about that. She was the only other person I knew who liked them (my other friends were not such big fans) so it was great for me to have someone I oculd talk about them with.

Just for kicks, I took a look on Ebay yesterday to see what kind of stuff might be on there. I found a few CDs that I have on my watch list (if I do still have all of my music it's on cassette - I'd rather have it now on CD since my car has a CD player and not a cassette deck). I'm actually seriously considering going to see their concert when they come to Edmonton in November. They did a concert here back when I was 12 or 13 - I would have given just about ANYTHING to go to that show, but sadly my mom and dad wouldn't let me. There were a number of kids from my school who went and I remember being so jealous of them; particularly of the afore-mentioned neighbour girl who got to go. When my mom and I saw the ad on TV for the concert she asked me if I was going to go. I'm not sure though if she was actually serious or if was just more of a tongue-in-cheek thing. I would love to go; I just need to decide if I really want to go by myself (I still don't know anyone else who likes/liked them).

TTFN!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think this was the group that was on The Appretice this past year. Chet Atkins had to organize the band for a fundraiser and it was the funniest show ever. I laughed myself silly watching a famous artist try and manage a famous band. They wanted wheat grass juice and Chet had never heard of it. It truely was hilarious.

Me said...

I was right there with you! I got Front Row center seat to one of the concerts. They even asked my baby sister (who was 3 at the time) on stage!
I too loved Jordan!

Helena said...

OOOh I used to like them too, Jordan the most, cause at the time I was real big into Michael Jackson and Jordan said that he was his idol and based alot of his dance moves on MJ!!!!

You should go to the concert just for the laugh if nothing else!

xxx