Monday, June 2, 2008

Scrapbook.com Blog BIG Challenge

Today's Topic: Write about something "hot". What does that mean to you?

The word "hot" has come to have a number of interpetations. There's temperature hot ("This coffee is really hot"), there's popular hot ("Big sunglasses are hot this season") there's good-looking hot ("Whoa, he's HOT!) and there's Paris Hilton hot ("That's hot!") which actually means "that's cool" (anyone else confused yet?). For this little exercise, I'm going to talk about popular hot.

The use of the term "hot" to refer to the latest trends bothers me. I feel like I'm being told that because such-and-such is "hot" this season, I need to run out and buy it, get it or do it or I won't be considered cool. Here's the problem: most of what is considered "hot" is not in my taste. For example, one of the things that seems to be hot right now is those huge, big over-sized sunglasses. If you're of small stature like me, you just can't pull those puppies off - half your face disappears behind them! Another "hot" trend I just don't get - those gaucho pants with boots. Maybe it's just me, but it seems redundant to me to wear short pants, and then cover the rest of your leg with boots. If you want your whole leg covered, wear long pants! (This is JMHO, by the way.)

And so I buck the trends! I laugh in the face of what's "hot", and I wear and do what I like. I refuse to be dictated to about what I should wear just because everyone else is wearing it. I go with my own flow, if you will. Now that's hot!

TTFN!

6 comments:

Me said...

You go girly! "Laugh in the face of "Hot"! To funny! Great blogging!

Sarah said...

I am so with you about the sunglasses! Who knew that I have been making a trend all these years just b/c I couldn't find sunglasses to fit my narrow head! lol I can't stand them!!

Carmen O. said...

I'm with you on the gaucho pants and boots altho when they were popular in the late 70's I probably wore them that way hehehehe!

Teri Leigh said...

Hey, I gave up following trends when I got a degree in Fashion Merchandising. It is all a scam by the fashion world to get you to buy new stuff all the time. It works too so if you can resist, good for you.

Thanks for the recommendations on books. I will check out the ones you mentioned.

All That Chit Chat said...

Yeah. Thats' funny. Get what's HOT so that you can be COOL. Hmmm.

Margy said...

LOL love this take on the word "HOT." Unfortunately I wear what I wear for two reasons... sweat pants fit better than anything after giving birth (so do the maternity pants I'm still in), and I'd rather spend my money on scrapping supplies!