Wednesday, June 4, 2008

A Very Important Link

Today's topic for the Big Blog Challenge is to post a link(s) to someone or something I love. As strange as it may sound, I had a really hard time coming up with anything. Many of the things I love I don't have links for: my parents, my dog, and so on. Of course, if I got off my butt and set up an online photo album and then uploaded my pictures to it I could change that, but moving on... I decided to take this topic in a slightly different direction, and talk about the special link I have with someone I love.

Anyone reading this who knows me knows that 8 years ago, I was lucky enough to receive a new kidney. The donor was none other than my very own mom. She had always said, right from the time that the doctors first discovered that I had chronic renal failure, that if the time ever came when I needed a transplant that she would give me one of hers. That's it, just like that she was ready to give me a part of herself. There was no hesitation, no discussion, nothing. Just "if my daughter needs a kidney she can have one of mine". Little did we know how much I would end up needing that kidney!

So, my mom and I are connected not only through DNA, but also through our kidneys. And because of that gift, our hearts are more strongly connected than ever. To me, this is the most important link of all, and one that I will always cherish.

TTFN!

6 comments:

Carmen O. said...

Sounds like you have a wonderful mom!

Celena said...

I love the direction you went with this blog!

Me said...

That's an amazing link! Amazing! Great jog! (hugs to your mom!)

Margy said...

Okay... now you're just trying to make me cry. I love the twist you put on this blog challenge. I also enjoyed reading about the bond and love you and your mom share!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful story!! TFS!! I've always thought it was interesting when people get unique cravings that only their donors had. Has that ever happened to u??

Amy said...

What a great story. I have a very good friend that has had two kidney transplants and is doing well. Her first one came from her father. Mothers are the most wonderful people!!